Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Jay-Z: American Gangster

I don't usually review music, because to be honest I usually don't feel like it. Every now and then I'll come across a new joint that makes me want to talk about it. So, with no further ado, American Gangster.

Marketed as a "concept" album inspired by the film of the same name, American Gangster is Jay-Z's musical interpretation of the film...each song corresponds to a scene/aspect of the movie that spoke to his life experiences growing up in Marcy projects, or perhaps even now, though Jay has been on the straight and narrow for quite a while. It's not a stretch to imagine that Jay, a former hustler, could relate to particular personality traits displayed by Frank Lucas. Both can be said to "run New York" in their own way. Jay's latest musical effort allows him to revert back to his old self, to give us shades of Reasonable Doubt. Call it a guilty pleasure, or an indulgence, but American Gangster (the movie) provided the perfect opportunity for Jay to rhyme about something he knows all too well: the hustle. Jay has evolved into an entrepreneur, an urban renaissance man, jack-of-all trades, and trendsetting mogul. If he rapped about selling drugs at this point, his words would ring hollow. We know he's a long way from Marcy. The man had an HP commercial for crying out loud. By masking this album under the guise of a concept album, Jay allows himself to slip back into a pre-Blueprint world he hasn't revisited in years, save for a few remixes and guest appearances here and there.

What I like most about the album is its umistakeable soulfulness. It harkens back to a musical era unknown to a lot of younger listeners. I'm not that old myself (28), but the reason why I could recognize some of the samples on the album is because I enjoy soul music and I'm familiar with it because I sought it out. Hell, Marvin Gaye was dead by the time I was 5 years old, but I know his voice because I am a lover of music. Maybe in some weird way American Gangster will foster that same love of soul music in some teenage consumers. If not, then I guess Jay really is for the grown and sexy, and all the kids can go back to crankin' that Soulja Boy.

On this album Jay still shows his maturity and introspection on tracks like "American Dreamin'"and "Say Hello," but keeps it gutter on songs like "Ignorant Shit" and "Hello Brooklyn 2.0," a collaboration with Lil' Wayne that will lay any rumors of a beef between the two to rest. The one shortcoming I've always attributed to Jay over the years is that he didn't have a knack for storytelling, for painting a picture with his words, like Nas for example. I think the cinematic nature of this project allowed him to overcome that hurdle, because the music is the canvas and his words are the paint...together those words and rhythms combine for a masterpiece, and an album that is nearly the best rap album of the year. I'll need a little longer to decide if it surpasses Graduation.

Interestingly enough, Diddy actually contributed to several of the more soulful tracks, which I find surprising. Honestly I didn't know he had it in him. I'll leave you with this one to chew on: Nas must be the greatest rapper alive. Hear me out. To be the best you have to beat the best, right? Well, he won the battle back when he and Jay were feuding. He HAS to be the greatest, because Jay is on a whole other level right now. Hmmm, actually although Nas is my fave rapper, that sounds stupid. Jay is only competing with himself at this point. When Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson he wasn't the best. That negro got lucky and caught the champ on an off night. Nevermind. All hail the king of New York, the Michael Schumacher of the Roc roster... President Carter.

No comments: