Saturday, February 25, 2006

Running Scared

I LOVED this movie, I don't care what anyone has to say about it. Much like last year's Domino- which I also really liked despite its horrible reviews - Running Scared is a hectic and harrowing tale, spilling out on the screen like a stream of consciousness. With frenetic pacing and an erratic storyline, I hated to leave for the bathroom for fear I would miss something critical. Blasted apple martinis.

Paul Walker stars as Joey Gazelle, a low-level mob guy who has the task of disposing of dirty guns. When one such piece gets away from him before he has the chance to dump it, Joey has to track it down before his bosses and/or the cops find it. Who has the gun? It was last in the hands of Oleg (Cameron Bright of Birth), the next door neighbor and best friend of his young son Nicky. Running Scared lives up to its title as Walker frantically combs the city for the burner. It passes hands from one low-life to another, and Joey always seems to be one step behind. The story takes an interesting turn when his wife goes on a chase of her own to retrieve Oleg, who is on the run for reasons I won't reveal so I don't spoil it for you. What makes this flick interesting is the atmosphere, cinematography, and the performances. The director makes use of slow-mo shots, reverse techniques and interesting camera angles. The film is visually appealing, starkly colored with lots of washed-out imagery. Now, for the performances: Paul Walker might be my new obsession. His Jersey accent was great and I was surprised he was able to ditch his natural surfer-boy intonation. He showed some grit, which I believe is a departure from his more recent roles. Plus I aint gonna lie…he is hella sexy. He's hot! I tried to save that for the end so it won't seem like that's the real reason why I liked this movie, but I have to put it out there. Paul, I aint mad at 'cha. Now as for this kid actor Cameron Bright, he is kinda deep. I've only seen him in one other movie, 2004's Birth, and he was good in that one also, although it was a bit disturbing. This kid takes on some heavy roles and I give him credit for it. He's no Haley Joel Osment or Dakota Fanning but hey, he's good. If you liked Domino or you dig Tarantino, I think you'll like Running Scared. One thing's for certain: you won't be bored.

No comments: