Saturday, October 08, 2005

Two For the Money

I'm not gonna spend a lot of time on this one. It was not good. It wasn't bad either...it was just blah. That's right, I said it. Despite having the incomparable Al Pacino (most recently of The Recruit) and fine-as-hell Matthew McConaughey (Sahara), it was NOT good. Throw in Jeremy Piven (Entourage) and Rene Russo (The Thomas Crown Affair) and you have the ingredients for what should shape up to be a pretty good movie, right? Wrong.

I don't know who wrote this crap but it sucked. It was just boring, and I'm a person that watched The Constant Gardener and A History of Violence, so I know I don't have a short attention span. This movie gave you nothing to care about or root for, even McConaughey. I don't think Pacino could give a bad performanc if he tried, but I just don't think he had enough to work with. Although Pacino is a legend and I could eat McConaughey with a spoon, I need a little bit more from the movie than having the privilege of watching these two breathe on screen. Here's the plot: McConaughey is Brandon Lang, a former star college quarterback who suffered a career-ending injury. Pacino is Walter Abrams, a man who runs an agency that advises its clients on sports betting. He brings Brandon into the fold as his new star, and he excels making accurate picks that bring in loads of dough. Of course, Brandon's luck runs out and he starts to lose. That's the crux of the story. So what. I'm done talking about this one. It didn't blow totally, but it definitely sucked a little bit.

A better movie about lies and greed: Boiler Room. A better movie about gambling: Rounders. I know it's hard to pass on Pacino, but skip this one. The cast was wasted.

No comments: